Thursday, March 19, 2009

I volunteer to watch them! Mostly cause they're yummy.

I have not really ever been a graphic novel fan. Until this year, I guess. What with The New English Syllabus being all about the GN.

I have always, however, been a fan of the superhero movie genre. The comic book film. I loved XMen, esp the first 2. I loved Spiderman. I have been totally obsessed with Batman since Mum forced me to stop the VHS tape during Jack Nicholson's The Joker in his first massacre of the film, deeming it "inappropriate"

When I was in the UK, my favouritst film rag, Empire were hyping like a kid on red cordial about The Watchmen. Which as a non-GN I had (to be sheepishly honest) not ever really heard about. But I was intrigued. They were frothing for it in a way that can only be descrived in the film geek way of "epic".


And it was no disappointment.
The film is set in alternate history, in a universe with superheroes, only one of which has superpowers. Obviously these heroes are going to be outsiders, removed from the mainstream (Belonging text, hello!), and the story follows these heroes as they cope with the alienation.

Much like 300, it is really really framey. Very loyal to the framing and composition of the GN. Not that I have read it, but I could tell. The use of the slow mo and the freeze frames really hit it home... the moment when that calf muscle explodes with the bullet was surely a frame from the GN (some of the Boys from the Factory saw it at IMAX, and this is the only shot that I REALLY wanted to see there).

The soundtrack was a fantastic mix of seventies and eighties. 99 Luftballoons was featured - while I was wearing my tshirt of same name! Sad to report that its not on the CD release. The Dylan and Dylan covers reflect the political allegory within the film - poignant in the 80s when the book was written, and still relevant (or more so) today.


All of the characters in the story smack a bit of has-been. They were flawed, with weaknesses, crutches, psycholigical histories and wrinkles. There are crows feet on Silk Spectre, jowls on Nightowl, an amusing paunch on The Comedian. It made the characters even more attractive.
And on that topic, it just might have been one of the funniest sex scenes ever. Though cosindering the unlikely body positions (in order for naughty bits to actually be touching) and the HILARIOUS ending to the scene - even funnier than a Robbie-Williams-Kylie-Minogue-Exploding-Champagne-Cork-End-To-Video-Clip. It was due largely to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". Pretty much the sexiest song ever.

There is also a healthy dose of cheesy lines, cheesy fight scenes and the cheesiest hair flicks seen since Charlie's Angels.


I loved it. I loved the way it made me feel about history, about the media, about filmmaking. I love the way it made me want to teach, want to learn, want to read. I could ignore the wooden acting, and the holes in the storyline. Because this was Love. Swoon! (Cue explosion)

No comments:

Post a Comment