Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hunt me out


My not so secret guilty pleasure is watching DVDs of TV. I try not to do illegal things like download shows, unless there is no other way I can get my hands on them. But watching season upon season of good (or utterly shite) quality drama or comedy will be a sure fire happy me.

Late last year I stumbled across Life On Mars. The sound, British version. Where it was blokey, sexist, racist, homphobic, sweaty and un PC (pardon the pun) patriarchy, where corrupt cops could pull off believable corruption because Manchester in the seventies was a sesspool of very convincing scum. Unlike that poor excuse for a remake from Across the Pond. Besides, Manchester at least still looks like it did in the seventies. Well, the parts they filmed in, anyway. Rather than using freaky stock/lighting effects... (I gave it a shot. Various Australian TV critics said that I would love it, even though/because I loved the first one. I didn't. They lied).

If you haven't seen the show, get your hands on it, and watch the whole first season without stopping for dinner.
The obsession for me was not in the main story arc. I didn't give a hoot about Sam Tyler and his time-travel/hallucination conundrum. I wasn't sold on the Tyler/Annie love story.




I only have eyes for Gene Hunt.

Despite the sexism, racism, homophobia, slightly dubious behaviour, terrible haircut and tendency toward violence.... Or maybe because of them.... (I never claimed I was a woman without issues).

And I am not the only one. Glenda Cooper has ranted on this one before me (but I only found this rant in my cyberstalking of the character). And as India Knight reports, the very clever British public voted him as some kind of sexiest character in another meaningless poll.


Maybe it's because of the delciousness of the fact that his name is also an act of someone looking for the person with the right chromosomes with which to share to make babies (because if I could end the hunt for genes with him, oh I would. I would!). And a pun that tasty (while a long stretch of the bow) is too much for me to walk by without a nibble.

Maybe its because of his razor sharp wit and matching tongue.
Or his passion and his spontaneous behaviour.
Or perhaps his authority.
Really, I think its because he resembles a seventies version of Mr Darcy. (Wow, that is the second time this month I have mentioned Darcy. Better make a tag for him too.) He is obnoxious, prejudiced, proud, talks WAY before thinking, generally tries to make himself unlikable.



And yet...
He means well. And he is unwavering in his loyalty. Just like Fitz is.

The funny thing is, I only saw it when watching Cranford. When the combination of Gene's powerful manly commanding voice (swoon!) was coupled with the sideburns, ruffled shirt and tight strides. Nothing like a Sunday night bonnet drama to give you an epiphany!


No comments:

Post a Comment