Monday, January 3, 2011

Reading Resolutions

PottyMouthMama doesn't do resolutions. She does habits.

I do Resolutions. I usually set mysefl 5 every year, so that if I complete 3, then I am going well. They need to be attainable and quantifiable. And they need to measurably improve my life.

But this post is not about those 5 Resolutions (mostly because I haven't nailed them all down yet.)

The Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke & The Bookish is about the books you are wanting to read in 2011. And I have re-decided that I don't go in for Top Tens... So cliched. But I do like a Top Six. And not out of laziness, because I can't be arsed completing the Ten. Mostly because I am too indecisive to complete a Top Five. So here is the Top Six Books I Want To Read In 2011. In no particular order.


1. The Road - Cormack McCarthy
I have tried to read this a few times. It is a truly evocative book, and I haven't really got more than a quarter into it, because I find it so grim, that it is difficult to go on. I think I need to infuse myself with the grit and determination of the characters in order to forge ahead.

2. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
As I have hinted at, my new-found love affair with the antisocial detective and his amiable assistant is blossoming nicely, thank you very much. Long may it continue.

3. Breath - Tim Winton
This blue book has nestled untouched on my shelf since Easter last year. I just know I am going to get lost in his rich imagery, and I've no idea why it has been postponed so long.

4. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
My very favourite Glaswegian told me that this is a staple text for studying in Scottish schools. He told me I would really enjoy it, and he has rarely set me on the wrong path before! Again, sitting on my shelf, sneering at my lack of time and commitment to reading, shameful for an English teacher.

5. Antigone - Sophocles
I actually have to teach this to my first ever Year 11 Advanced English class in Term 1, so I really need to get a wriggle on. I have seen a production of it, but through the hazy memories of university, I wouldn't be confident in teaching it to teenage boys.

6. A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness
I know it isn't going to be The Chaos Walking series. But I want to sink my teeth into some more Nessness! I haven't seen the book yet (it is slated for release later this year) and I haven't read any press, but I want I want I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment