Saturday, April 11, 2009

Well, how 'bout it?


To say that The Boat That Rocked was a film that rocked would be a gross understatement.

A deliciously hilarious fictional history (am still reading up on how historical the fiction is...) with an ensemble including some of my favourite performers (Nick Frost, Phillip Seymour Hoffman (the busiest American actor), Bill Nighy, Chris O'Dowd & Katherine Parkinson (both of IT Crowd fame), Rhys Darby... and on, and on and on...) written and directed by the normally overtly sentimental Richard Curtis.

Its a Stick It To The Man/Coming of Age/Sort Out Daddy Issues/Music based Comedy/Boat film. A genre of now 2 films I can think of - the other being The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. I wonder what it is about being set on a boat that allows a young man to confront his issues of abandonment with his father. Possibly the forced isolation and the claustrophobia. I would have too much difficulty remembering not to trip over every door frame I stepped through, and coping with seasickness to deal with parental abandonment, but maybe that's because I'm not anybody's son...
Highlights include absolutely delicious art direction, the use of vinyl and all its crackly black plastic audio goodness, hilarious performances and a rescue scene that shits all over Titanic from a great height. A character called Twat (by name and nature) played perfectly by Jack Davenport. And the soundtrack was sublime!
As far as I can tell, reviews have been less than glowing.
The UK tele said it was a muddled and only fitfully brilliant film
David gave it 3 stars, and Margaret 3 and a half (but then I have always been more of a Margaret person anyway.)
I thought the film was a joy, almost from the start. I don't think it went too long. I still wanted more at the end. I knew RC wouldn't leave us with a sad sad ending, and he delivered.

Nick Frost was as usual hysterical, but more nude than I have seen him in the past. Turns out, chunky boys with facial hair do it for me... Oh, wait. That isn't a surprise...
Bill Nighy was perfect. Every time I see him in something I think "This was the role he was BORN to play" and really this is it. He is exactly the right amount of pompous, lanky and wrinkled.

And Chris O'Dowd... Again, it comes as not much of a surprise that a funny Irishman makes me go all distracty and not think straight.

Tom Wisdom, playing Mark, is a dead ringer for Our Heath. Esp in the leather pants. Quite scrummy, really. And Mark offered the greatest insight into the male psyche since Swingers
So in honour of TBTR:
Top 6 Boat Films, in no particular order

1. The Boat That Rocked
Gotta love a nautical British comedy

2. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Wes Anderson and another star studded cast. I defy you not to want to wear red beanies!


3. Titanic, only because it was so enormous

I still can't get over the hype and shite that followed this film. Sure, it was huge. But the effects on it were really not all that great. Plus they weren't Kate's real boobs.
TBTR had hints of water exploding down hallways. But this time I was giggling

4. Jaws
I think we're going to need a bigger boat


5. The Imposters
Oliver Platt, Stanley Tucci and Billy Connelly. Cross dressing screwball about how messed up actors are. "I Hate Them" is the best cream bun on mouth line ever.

6. Speed 2
How unlucky does Sandra Bullock want to be? First Dennis Hopper, now Wilhem Dafoe!??!

No comments:

Post a Comment