Monday, June 21, 2010

BAAA bup BAAA. BUPBUP BAAAAAAAA

(this title must be sung or played with horns)




The A Team.

Iconic show of decades gone by. Launching pad for the career of Mr T. Source of so many Spaced references. Inspiration behind the best little Aussie team to put on a show in Edinburgh.


And a pretty kickarse action flick.


Granted, I love love Bradley Cooper. And have since the days of Alias. One of my London flatmates was a Vaughn girl. One liked the icyness of Sark. But I always had eyes only for Will Tippin. Boyish green. Sparkling pale eyes. Sigh!


And another grant must be that I was totally hungover. And in the mood for some seriously trashy trash, incapable of consuming much more than the poppiest of popcorn movies.


But I loved this movie. So unlikely. So so funny. Fantastic action sequences, and iconic characters, soundtracks and one liners.

It took me AGES to figure out that Murdock was being played by Sharlto Copely (the dude from District 9) and he was so so good. Quentin 'Rampage' Jackson filling the boots of Mr T had a big task... as well as a rediculous slash hysterical slash scarily fitting name. And I'm under no delusions - Mr T not the greatest actor of anybody's generation. See the Snickers ad for evidence of that. So he did a pretty good job. Liam Neeson, he of the velvety voice, seems to make some strange choices in films. I still haven't seen Taken, but I hear it is a laugh. And he hops from period battle dramas to Star Wars and back again. But his Hannibal is honourable and likable. Even though I kept thinking 'wow, he must reek of cigar smoke... is he really allowed to smoke there?'

And Bradley was pretty droolworthy... Ah. Faceman... Jessica Beil may have rediculously pouty mouth. But I would have swapped for a little while just to have a turn.

I found it interesting that the enemy in this one is not the Arabs. Not the paranoid Bush-era anti-Muslim stuff that there seems to have been for a few years. Not even really hiding behind a non-descript accent. The Man, The Establishment, The Government... these are the things it is OK to question now. Does that mean this poppiest of popcorn is a part of the revolution...?

No comments:

Post a Comment