Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Root of all Emo

Wow, it has been ages since I posted...

I am a non-believer in the Emo movement. I tend to find people who consider themselves emo to be self obsessed, overly self-conscious and wrapped up in the cliche of not being a cliche. I have been known to scoff at the long fringed, stripe socked and the guy-lined.

But with a sense of friendliness, rather than Mexican-style-homocide-riot-emo-killing kind of scoffing.

Craig Schuftan is the dude who talks on JJJ about all things historic and cultural. He explains to the kiddies how they stuff they love now is based on stuff that has been loved for years and years. He tends to pull up loads of interesting bits of trivia that, as a music trivia fan (nay, expert or officiando... officianda?), I find just delicious.

So when I was trawling through an ABC shop to find more oblong things to spend my hard earned on (seriously, I need to kerb this serious addiction to books and dvds), I saw Neitzche, Leave Those Kids Alone. And based on the title alone, I knew I must have it. We all know that I love a good pun. And a pun based on both a religion-hating philosopher and a Pink Floyd song, well that is just asking to be purchased.

When reading this book, it feels like Shuftan's melodic voice is dancing in your ear. Once I got past his obvious affection for all things Chemical Romance, especially the Black Parade album, the book was a great read. I've never really considered the fact that the emo subculture is pretty much a reincarnation, or a continuation, of the 19th century Romantic movement - a turn away from God, from the betterment of society, from making art to reflect the human condition towards the self. The Romantics were All About Me - MY emotions, MY true love, MY misunderstood suffering... Sound familiar?

And in between were the New Romantics, the Joy Divisions, The Cures, and he of all things self-God-like, David Bowie. The New Romantics knew that they were channelling the Byrons and the Wagners - they even refer to the source it in their moniker. But I kind of get the impression that the emo kiddies - not the emo musos (most of whom reject the label) - think that they just might be the original centre of the universe, and nothing like them has ever come before so nobody can ever understand their pain.

The book didn't change the way I feel about kids with their fringe sliding over their face in too tight jeans. But it did make me think that the musicians I had maligned so much are actually aware of their musical heritage. And if they are not, then at least Shuftan is. And now, I am too!

No comments:

Post a Comment